Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The God of Aprilham

Once upon a time, I felt God calling me to a relatively terrifying task, one so completely outside my comfort zone I nearly cried. I was biting my nails while talking with a friend about it:

"Oh Aprilham
,” he quipped, “Great will your descendants be.”

In the book of Genesis, God tells Abraham to leave everything comfortable and go where he is called. God assures Abraham protection, provision and blessing for his obedience. And descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky. In faith, Abraham believed God.

I want to have a great faith in the plans and promises of God. However, being called to a Promise Land 'flowing with milk and honey' isn't without some struggle when you have a family history of diabetes and lactose intolerance (*).

But God whispers, April, I am your shield, your very great reward. And just as God gave Abram a new identity, and in turn a new destiny, I am trying to walk in the direction of my new name.

This blog is about the God I'm getting to know – the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob…and even lil' ol' me.

No comments: